Happy New Year! Accept Birding season bookings!!!
Plane wreck on 13th November 1979
This Curtiss C-46 “Commando” twin-prop cargo plane was operated by Lamb Air in Northern Manitoba. Was nicknamed Miss Piggy because of the size of the loads she carried from site to site in the north. Reportedly, the aircraft was overloaded … a stuffed Piggy. To this day, Miss Piggy rests on a cliff edge north of the Churchill airport and is an official tourist attraction for Churchill.
Ship wreck on 14th September 1960
SS Ithaka was a small freighter, originally built as Frank A. Augsbury for the Canadian George Hall Coal & Shipping Corporation in 1922. Now, this shipwreck rests on the Hudson Bay as a monument to all those seamen that have traveled the waters of the north. When the tide is “low”, locals and travelers often allows to walk out to the wreck and gain a close-up vantage point of the rusty behemoth.
Radar Station in the 1960s
This abandoned building overlooking Hudson Bay near Churchill was used to track launches from the nearby rocket range.
Founded on 1976, the Studies Centre is a non-profit and multi-disciplinary research facility that is also open for educational tourism.
Used to be Churchill Rocket Research Range (1954-1985)
Starting 1956 this site hosted an active rocket-launching program for 25 years.
In 1996 the church was named as Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site.
The church is famous being one of the oldest prefabricated metal buildings in Canada and the only known iron facility of its type that survives in Manitoba.
Inside, the church contains many old and valuable artifacts, including a stained-glass window donated to the parish by the widow of Sir John Franklin, the famous Arctic explorer.